Property Management Laws in Massachusetts
Must Massachusetts property management companies have a real estate broker's license?
NO. Although renting and leasing activities are considered real estate activities undertaken by a real estate broker, if those activities are incidental to his or her involvement as a property manager, a real estate broker license is not required.
For more information about these and other Massachusetts property management requirements and exceptions, please the
Must Massachusetts community association managers have a real estate broker's license?
NO. A broker's license is not required to manage community associations or condo associations in Massachusetts.
For questions about property management requirements in Massachusetts, please the
MUST-KNOW INFO FOR PROPERTY MANAGERS:
Massachusetts Eviction Laws
Evictions are awful - perhaps the worst task property managers must perform. If you're in the business long enough, you'll likely have to go through the eviction process at least once.
Here's a local example of a Massachusetts eviction: A showdown occurred in Salem in late 2014 when a man who had recently lost his job was unfortunate enough to also be given an eviction notice. The overwhelming stress of the situation resulted in a six-hour standoff with law enforcement, during which he threw explosives out the window and fatally injured himself.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community